Sunday, November 30, 2008

4 1/2 hours till December - That's CRAZY!

Well, we have had a crazy couple of months and time is still flying by. It seems that we have just been running around doing a million things. I think the best way to fill everyone in is to just give a run down of each of our lives since September!

Ryan:
Ryan finished the football season with his Bryan Station Defenders a couple of weeks ago. This always keeps him busy from mid-summer until early November. It was a good football year but a tough one too. Ryan is the head freshman football coach and his team didn't end up on the winning end very many times. Though football takes up a lot of time it is something that Ryan loves and I have come to love too. He also is a dedicated teacher and this year he has gained even more responsibility at his school. Ryan is headed to Seattle in February for a national math conference. I think it is a ploy to get out of town with his buddies! Aaron T (better known around our house as Timmons) and Ryan W (better known as Winders) will also be headed to Seattle for the very enjoyable math conference so I know he'll be in good hands. Right now I believe he is totally immersed in the 3rd book in the Twilight series. He should be grading papers but hey so should I!

Bella (our precious puppy):
Bella had a rough September and October. In early September she started acting funny and doing things (ex. peeing in the house) that we had her trained not to do. She would be laying down and then all the sudden just pee without even getting up. At first we thought she was just being rebellious. Ryan and I had just started the school year and she was staying in her cage from about 7:15 - 4:00. So, we thought she was just trying to tell us she was angry about the change in her schedule, but then one night when I was playing with her in the floor she starting peeing while just laying on the floor. At that point we had a feeling something else was wrong so we began the vet visits. The vet ran several tests and came to the conclusion that Bella was diabetic. They sent test to the University of Tennessee and Texas A&M just to be sure. Diabetic dogs are fairly common however diabetes usually happens later in life. Bella, at the time of her diagnosis, was only 7 months old. She is the first juvenile diabetic dog that our vet has ever seen, and his professors/friends at UT have only encountered 4 other dogs under a year old that have developed diabetes. So, this has led to lots of vet visits and bills and the most important 2 insulin shots each day. Bella has been great through the whole thing and she seems as happy as ever. We have only had one big scare where she had a seizure and we had to rush her to the emergency vet clinic at 10:30 at night. Everything turned out fine and we are blessed to have such a sweet puppy dog. Her 1st birthday is coming up, December 24th! We can't wait to celebrate.

Maria:
Things this year seem to be going great at school. Our team is working wonderfully together and all of our kids are working hard and making us proud! This year has been a little hectic but I can only place blame on myself! I find it hard to say no to things/people especially when it comes to working with the kids at Clays Mill. Some of the things I have committed to this year are: academic team, academic challenge team, extended school services, leadership team, book theater club, and then I am also working on my master's degree at Georgetown College. So, to say I have kept myself busy is an understatement! I love it though. I would rather be busy than bored any old day. My master's class this fall went very well. I had the pleasure of meeting a wonderful third grade student and working with her weekly on reading skills. I get to continue next semester to implement some strategies that will hopefully bring her right up to grade level with reading skills. I love working one on one with her because it is something that teachers in the regular classroom rarely have the opportunity to do. So, the next three weeks should be a little more relaxed for me because grad. school is done for the semester and school is pushing ahead toward winter break.

One big thing that Ryan and I decided a while ago was to switch churches. We had been feeling that God was calling us to a new church home in Lexington. We love Porter and the ministries going on there but we felt like we were being led to find a new church home. We have been to several churches in Lexington but we are still looking for our niche.

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving with Ryan's family in Ohio. However, it isn't quite the same without Michael and Joe Joe (plus Sawyer). We miss them sooooooooooooooooo much and we can't wait till they make it back home. Ryan's family is wonderful and we had a delicious meal or I should say meals since Ryan's mom is a fantastic cook.

So, that about sums up our life to this point. I will now vow to update the blog at least once a week from now until forever... well that may be a bit of an exaggeration but I promise to do much better!

No comments: